Wednesday, March 11, 2009

He delights in me...

After writing my post yesterday, I felt that I needed to follow it up with a post that was perhaps a bit more positive. I quickly spoke about the concept of "It's not about me...it's about Him" and I wanted to continue along those lines somewhat.

As a church, we have been working the last 5 weeks on "God's Purpose...Right Now". The key figure in this sermon series is David. And as we have seen:
"For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation.." - Acts 13:36
This past week I spent my quiet time in Psalms. I have been thinking a lot about how (or even if) I'm "[serving] the purpose of God in [my] own generation." And my thoughts have run time and time again to David's life. You know he was not perfect. He murdered, he conspired, he committed adultery. Sometimes we place David up on a pedestal and thus it seems almost impossible to achieve the status of "being a man after God's own heart" ( 1 Sam 13:13-14, Acts 13:22). But then I came across this passage and it changed my whole thought process.
"He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me." - Psalm 18:19
Wow! He delights in me? Really? Does He not know the things I've done? The things I've thought? - Well, of course He does, and in fact he knows the things that you are going to do in the future and He STILL loves you. Just the way you are right now.

Now this is a thought-process "in progress". I by no means have my mind wrapped around this concept yet. But, at least right now, the way that I seem to understand it is this: David was not perfect, but he was also not willing to stay where he was. He was constantly working to become more and more like God.

Where are you? Have you become stagnant in your relationship with God? Or are you fighting with everything in you to become more and more like Him? Remember that you can't do it on your own - you have to allow the Holy Spirit to conform you to His likeness and will.

Dream Big...Pray Bigger!

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment