Monday, September 28, 2009

Couple Talk 09.27.09

His Needs
Sexual Fulfillment
Recreational Companionship
Attractive Spouse
Domestic Support
Admiration

Her Needs
Affection
Conversation
Honesty
Financial Support
Family Commitment

Get Started:
Each of you take a moment and pick the two needs in the above list that are most important to you and explain why to your spouse.

Affirmation: Share with your spouse what he/she does that meets any of the needs listed above.

Sunday's Sermon: Pastor Steve mentioned during the sermon that marriage is a relationship of mutual ministry, in which each spouse has an unqualified commitment to be an instrument of God to meet the other one's deepest personal needs. What does this mean for you and how do you feel about it? Do you agree?

Learning: Share with your spouse the one need from the above list that you wish he/she did more to meet. Discuss the ways he/she could meet that need.

Discussion: Identify which issue listed below is the greater hindrance to you meeting your spouse's need and discuss it.
  • I didn't know he/she really needed that
  • I'm not convinced that what he/she says they need is a legitimate need
  • I'm not sure how to meet his/her need
  • I'm afraid to try...because...
  • I'm waiting for my spouse to meet my need first
  • I'm afraid my spouse will not return the favor and meet my need
  • I'm the way I am and I'm not going to change
  • I don't care
  • Some other reason (what is it?)
Commitment: Based on this conversation, what will you do in order to better meet your spouse's need? Share your commitment with your spouse right now.

Celebrating: Share with each other what you enjoy most about being married to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment