Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Community

A book that I am reading has a quote in it that intrigued me: “There is a reason the word belonging has a synonym for want at its center; it is the human condition.”

The more I thought about that quote, the more I realized that much of what we are about in Reveal and in First Baptist is helping people find a place to belong, a group of people who are doing life together, a way of life that reveals to the world around us the fantastic, overwhelming, amazing love of the Father.

People in our culture are looking for connection. That's why Facebook and MySpace and Twitter have become so popular. But there is something lacking in those venues - the face-to-face interaction that brings with it a human touch. That's why we have small groups. That's why we do lunch once a month together. That's why it's so important for us to connect with one another.

-- Peace, Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Where's my "like" button when I need it? Facebook humor. Couldn't resist.
    Jamie, this was a thought of mine last week..what about the face to face, human touch? There is only so much connecting that we can do online. I have made many online friends through my blog and following other's blogs.
    Friendships that I'm convinced are real, but can only go so far because of physical boundaries.

    Face to face weekly and monthly interaction should not be ignored. I hear too often "Life is just too busy to stop and talk." That's sad. Relationships and friendships don't just happen. I think that's why it is so easy to be friends online; not much time has to be invested. It's hit or miss and all too often people are okay with that.
    Rambling time is over. Thanks for the great post Jamie. Now I'm adding this blog to my Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete