Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Life Change...

This weekend I witnessed something that was life changing. I had the opportunity to go to Anderson, SC on Saturday night and be a part of Newspring Church's baptism tailgate party.
Now if you are a little confused, let me fill you in. A couple of years ago, Newspring decided that they would do a big baptism service for their church and basically throw a big party in the process. Their thought process being - if we can get excited and party like crazy for a college football game, why can't we do it for a baptism service too. Sounds good to me. Well they have done it a few times now over the past couple years and it is awesome.

They had 4 above ground pools with two pastors in each pool. They had people grilling out, throwing the football, playing music, etc. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that I was going to a Clemson or Carolina football game.

And then at some point during the baptisms I had a thought. How cool would it be for FBC to do this same thing with an above ground pool or two and a big tailgate party on the edge of our property looking out over Dave Lyle Blvd for all of Rock Hill to see. I don't know, it could happen...it's all about life change.

But what I really want to tell you about is the reason that Lori and I went to Anderson. Don't get me wrong I was super excited to be a part of over 400 baptisms in that parking lot. Not to mention the 150 at the Greenville campus and the 12 at the Florence campus. But I was much more interested in one baptism in particular.

Back in March, my father had a life changing experience. God gave him a message and he listened. Next, he sought counsel and eventually decided that he needed to proceed in believer's baptism (He was baptized as an infant and accepted Christ as a teenager). I had the honor of witnessing my father be obedient to our Father in heaven. My brother had the unique honor of being able to perform my father's baptism. As you can guess emotions ran high and tears ran freely.
Dad, I want you to know that I am proud of you for following God's plan even when it wasn't easy. I love you, I'm proud of you, and I am excited for what the future holds...
To all parents out there. Do not underestimate the power of your children seeing you obeying your Father in heaven. It is vital to their growth and understanding as a Christian. Talk with them, help them to understand. It WILL make a difference in their life.

Dream Big...Pray Bigger!

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment